Polyvinylidene chloride (PVDC) was developed by Dow Chemicals in the 1930s and marketed under the tradename Saran. PVDC has a very low permeability to moisture and other gases and is resistant to chemicals and solvents. It was initially used as a protective coating to combat corrosion on military aircraft exposed to sea spray.
After the war it enjoyed a brief spell as monofilament and fibres in heavy textiles, ropes and car upholstery, exploiting its resistance to chemicals, but it soon found application as a film for wrapping food. Cling film – as it came to be known – was introduced for commercial use in 1949 and for domestic use in 1953.
Nowadays, it is mostly used as a thin barrier layer in multilayer sheet, film and tube – generally produced by co-extrusion with other polymers such as polyolefins or polystyrene but also laminated with cellophane, paper or board.
Polyvinylidene chloride admin 2016-12-06T05:35:21+00:00