The polymerisation of acrylics was extensively studied by Otto Rohm in 1901. The Rohm & Haas company was founded in 1907 in Esslingen and moved to Darmstadt in 1909. In 1915 Rohm took out a patent for polyacrylic ester as a paint binder.
Commercial production of acrylate polymers began about 1927 as Acryloid and Plexigum and as an intermediate layer in ‘safety glass’ Luglas, although full scale production did not begin until 1931.
In 1912 Rohm vulcanised ester polymers with sulphur to give rubbery products but it was left to BF Goodrich to develop acrylate rubbers in the early 1940s.
Rohm and Haas admin 2016-12-06T05:35:21+00:00